We can collect buying habits of our customer, create customer profiles, and understand our target demographic to know WHO our customer is… but do we really know WHAT our customers want? It’s more than just the product or service we offer. No matter what industry, customers want us to provide not only great products, but they want us to be the type of person they can trust to get the job done.
Here are the seven things they want to see in you:
- Objective Thinking: Customers want to know that you have their best interest in mind, even if it is not your own–personal or financial–interest.
- Courage: Customers want to know that you can be trusted to do the right thing. They expect you to tell them if buying what you're selling is a mistake, or not truly in their interests.That takes real guts.
- Pride: Customers trust that you’ll deliver what’s promised by your brand and they want to work with proud, successful people who can handle even the most difficult tasks.
- Creativity: Customers don't have the time (or the patience) to sit and listen to cookie-cutter sales presentations. However, they always find time for somebody who can redefine their problems and provide workable solutions.
- Confidence: Customers are taking a risk when they buy from you. They both need and expect you to exude the kind of confidence that assures them you'll do what it takes to make them happy.
- Empathy: In the sales role, you should always put yourself in the customer’s shoes. They want you to see the situation from their perspective. They want you to understand where they are, how their business works, and the challenges that they face.
- Honesty: Above all, customers want you to be honest with them. In fact, the previous six values are built upon a foundation of honesty. Without honesty, you have absolutely nothing to offer any customer.
Source: Geoffrey James