As sales people (or in any career for that matter), it’s important to think about how your shake your client’s hand, whether you cross your arms when you’re talking, whether you’re smiling while talking on the phone, etc. All of these actions project positive interaction with a current or potential customer. However, have you ever thought about mastering the Belly Button Rule, working your naughty bits, where you sit, or using your power gestures?
Janine Driver, the founder and president of the Body Language Institute has several tips that could immediately impact your client interactions and potentially grow sales. Here are five tips that will impact you today:
• Find someone’s body language baseline—Once you establish rapport with someone, you will be able to determine general baselines of their body language. By doing this, you won’t misinterpret the body language someone is using with you.
• The Belly Button Rule—Be sure that your belly button faces the person you are speaking with. This shows your attitude and emotional state toward the person with whom you are speaking.
• Flash Your Naughty Bits—Sounds strange, but when you close off your bits with your hands, it appears you are threatened. When you open up your bits, you appear more confident and less fearful.
• Right Side—Don’t sit directly in front of someone; always sit to the side creating comfort for the person you are interacting with.
• Power Gesture—How you hold your hands can project a level of confidence that is well received by the person you are talking to. One quick gesture that does this is the Power Steeple. Simply put your two hands together fingertips to fingertips, creating a steeple that projects belief and assuredness.
These are just five tips of the many that Janine shares. Her fresh tips to improving sales numbers are easy things we all can do to get what we want. Isn’t that what being a sales person is all about?
Written by: Kasie Smith is a Michigan native. She was born in Traverse City, and now lives in Grand Rapids. She enjoys golfing, spending time in the sun, and watching romantic comedies with her very own leading men, her husband Jason and her twin boys, Jackson and Spencer.