Every year, winter forces the issue: practical or pretty? When you listen to Jamie Grasman, co-owner of jb & me, looking good and feeling good is something we all can pull off. Her top five outerwear staples are cozy and comfortable, so pick and choose and remember to never let a little shivering spoil your style.
- Infinity scarves: Try a faux fur infinity scarf for a touch of glamour. Wear with your sweaters or on cold days when you just want some extra coverage. Available in a variety of colors. Grasman’s favorite is an “animal print that’s a nice neutral tone that can go with taupes, grays, or blacks.”
- Handwarmers: If you enjoy having the use of your fingers and your phone, you should invest in a pair. Fur trim and fleece lining give these items their street cred.
- You need to have the right coat in Michigan, and you are allowed multiples. If a coat is the wrong length, it can be a real fashion distraction. “We have the right to own a lot of coats,” said Grasman. Forget owning one essential coat. Short coats, mid length, and different cuts and styles need to be in tune with what’s underneath.
- Hats: A felt fedora is a fun, stylish way to protect your hair and stay warm. “Usually those aren’t that tightly fitted, so they won’t mess your hair up.”
- Peek-a-boo socks: Sweater socks add a little femininity with embellishments such as lace or buttons. Peeking out of boots, they are a nice, simple touch that can give you added heat.
Stop into jb & me’s two locations, in Grand Rapids and Holland, to see the items mentioned above. Check jb & me out online at www.jbandme.com and like it on Facebook for fashion tips, event notices, and to stay in the know when it comes to looking your best.
If you only take note of one suggestion, Grasman believes it should be the coat. “It can really make or break outfits. It speaks to your style. You have no idea how neat your outfit is underneath. All people see is your coat.”
Written by: Missy Black is a freelance writer for West Michigan Woman magazine.