When living with a significant other, it's easy to get lost in day-to-day activities and forget to think about the free time you have together. Instead you opt for the standard choices, such as going to the movies or your go-to restaurant. You're spending time with each other, but you're not creating new memories together.
Unfortunately, with completely opposite work schedules, my boyfriend of two years and I became victims of this vicious cycle. I thought of the new experiences we tried in 2014—visiting my family in Arizona, riding my first rollercoaster at Cedar Point, adopting a furry four-legged companion—and compared them to what we'd done in the past few months. There was a painful reality: We had become boring!
On a scale of crazy to conventional, I wouldn't consider us the Lady Gaga of couples, but we definitely hadn't been adding much excitement to our lives recently. So while my boyfriend was away visiting family, I thought of a fun way to make sure we never ran out of ideas—a Date Night Board! Using GraphicStock.com, a corkboard, and Adobe Illustrator, I went to work creating my Pinterest-worthy project.
By the end of it, I had twenty West Michigan date night (or day) ideas perfect for when we find ourselves with mutual days off and nothing planned. The best part? I can keep adding to and customizing it as much as I want! While the current list might not involve rollercoasters or cross-country trips, it will keep adding new adventures to our lives without breaking the budget.
- Spend a night stargazing. – James Veen Observatory
- Teach me to tango! – Moveir Dance Studio
- Ping-pong, darts, and beer! – Rezervoir Lounge
- Dinner for two. – Derby Station
- Ready, aim, fire! – Barracks 616 Firing Range
- Recreate our first date. – Naked Plates
- Breakfast for two. – Starbucks and Propaganda Doughnuts
- Let's rock out! – Concert at the Van Andel
- Need a laugh? – Dr. Grins Comedy Club
- Couples cooking class. – Grand Rapids Downtown Market
- Shoot some pool. – Anazeh Sands West
- Laser tag! – The Lost City (Holland)
- Friends or enemies? – T.C. Paintball Grand Rapids
- A new experience. – Getty Drive-In Theater
- Catch a show. – Broadway Grand Rapids
- Take a stroll. – Frederick Meijer Gardens
- Scale to new heights. – Inside Moves Rock Climbing
- Dealer's choice! – WILD CARD
- Paint, drink, and be merry! – Brush Studio
- Taste the "Forbidden Apple." – Lumber Baron Bar
Written by Devyn Quick, audience development coordinator for West Michigan Woman.